Program Coordinator Internship-Virtual
KEEN Chicago: Kids Enjoy Exercise Now (KEEN) Chicago mobilizes a vision of an inclusive future;
one with intentional community spaces that uplift youth with disabilities ages 5-21. KEEN’s mission statement
is to empower youth with disabilities by providing free, non-competitive, and unstructured one-to-one (1:1)
programs of exercise, fitness and fun led by volunteer coaches. KEEN Chicago’s core in-person programming
consists of sports, swim, trampoline, and dance sessions at the following locations: Loyola Park, UIC’s West
Campus, Sky High Niles, and Intrigue Dance and Performing Arts Center in Chinatown. During the current
crisis, we have adapted to connect online for regular athlete programming.
Position Responsibilities: The Program Coordinator intern will work with a dynamic group of volunteers and
families to create and maintain our online programming for young people with disabilities. The Program
Coordinator intern will identify with specific elements of our online programming and work with the Executive
Director in determining exact position responsibilities based upon the student’s interest and KEEN’s needs.
For more information or to apply for an internship, please email KEEN Chicago Executive Director, Laura
Fillenwarth, at LFillenwarth@keenchicago.org. To apply please send a resume and cover letter.
• Work closely with volunteers to maintain highest standards of safety and fun during KEEN events
• Direct program activities including volunteer recruitment, orientation, training, and recognition
• Outreach to local organizations and parent groups to grow youth athlete participation
• Assist in building partnerships in the community that enhance KEEN’s mission
• Maintain attendance for athletes and coaches during sessions
• Facilitate activities within online programs
• Aid in planning awareness and/or fundraising events for the organization
• Other projects as assigned
Locations: Due to COVID-19, this internship opportunity is virtual. Our program meets on ZOOM and
Program Days & Hours:
We are currently finalizing our fall schedule. Our main program will take place weekly on Sundays at 3:30pm.
We will have additional pop up programs throughout the month in areas of topical interest such as yoga, dance,
and music. The schedule will be updated on the schedule page of our website when it is finalized.
A KEEN internship is somewhat flexible in terms of the scheduling and time commitment, but an intern should
expect to spend around 5 (or more, if desired) hours weekly working on tasks that will strengthen our