Employer: Advocate Aurora Health
Job Title: Summer Nurse Extern II
Additional Information: https://careers.aah.org/job/17670997/summer-nurse-extern-ii-chicago-il/?source=10588
Schedule Details/Additional Information:
6-8 week duration
- Under the observation of the Registered Nurse, completes activities of daily living, vital sign completion and blood glucose monitoring.
- Collaborates with the Registered Nurse in establishing a plan of care based upon an analysis of health, education and developmental needs and patient/family preferences.
- Under the observation of the Registered Nurse, evaluates patient response to interventions and effectively communicates observations and patient needs to the Registered Nurse.
- Develops delegation skills appropriate to Health Unit Coordinators, Nursing Assistants and technical roles on unit.
- Administers medication as delegated by the Registered Nurse. The level of clinical judgment and proficiency of skill must be evaluated prior to medication administration.
- Manages an increased number of patients and incorporates principles of time management into shift routine.
- Demonstrates an ability to collect and synthesize relevant patient data accurately identifying patient status and needs.
- In emergency situations and under appropriate supervision of a Registered Nurse, participates in activities they have demonstrated knowledge and skill in.
- Performs various patient positioning and transporting duties, which require lifting and pushing/pulling, while utilizing proper technique.
- Must be able to demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served. Must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs, and to provide the care needed as described in the department's policies and procedures. Age-specific information is developed further in the departmental job standards.
Licensure, Registration, and/or Certification Required:
- Currently enrolled in an accredited or approved program in Nursing.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Current enrollment (in final year) or graduate of an accredited nursing program.
- Successful completion of a Medical Surgical Course that includes pharmacological concepts.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to adapt to interruptions and changing priorities/workload necessary.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to sit, stand, walk, lift, squat, bend, twist, and reach above shoulders during the work shift.
- Must be able to:
- lift up to 50 lbs. from floor to waist.
- lift up to 20 lbs. over the head.
- carry up to 40 lbs. a reasonable distance.
- Must be able to:
- – push/pull with 30 lbs. of force.
- – perform a sliding transfer of 150 lbs. with a second person present.
- Will be required to use foot pedals on carts or machines.
- Must have functional vision and hearing.
- Will be exposed to mechanical, electrical, chemical, and radiation hazards as well as blood and body fluids on a continuous basis; therefore, protective clothing must be worn as necessary.
- Operates all equipment necessary to perform the job.
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.