Employer: University of Illinois – Urbana
Hiring Department: McKinley Health Center
Job Title: Staff Nurse I
Additional Information: https://illinois.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/8365?c=illinois
For the McKinley Health Center, utilizes the nursing process to provide direct care and health education for patients, including but not limited to, those with acute and chronic illnesses and injuries: assessment of the patient's problem, development and implementation of a nursing care plan, evaluation of the effectiveness of the plan, and revision of the plan of care as needed.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides direct patient care and health education activities by utilizing the nursing process. Performs nursing procedures according to established policies and procedures and standing orders.
- Works in a variety of settings: Immunization & Travel Clinic, Women's Health Clinic, and Medical Clinics, including rotating to Acute Care Clinic on Saturdays and/or occasional holidays.
- Administers medications and treatments as ordered by the physician.
- Assists Physician and Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant as needed.
- Maintains unit flow by assisting fellow staff members, as needed, including but not limited to: check in and prepares patients for appointments; answers phones from other departments, assumes duties of Medical Assistant and clerks as needed.
- Functions as an Office Nurse when designated.
- Functions as unit Charge Nurse when designated. The Charge Nurse works directly under the supervision of the Administrative Nurse III and reports daily to the Administrative Nurse. Specific duties and responsibilities will vary depending on the clinical area to which assigned.
- Collaborates in the development and implementation of unit goals, policies and procedures.
- Assists in the orientation of new unit personnel.
- Maintains professional skills and knowledge.
- Participates in unit Quality Assessment Programs.
- Accepts committee appointments.
- Responsible and accountable to support and ensure a culture of safety, quality and risk management including compliance with ethics.
- Assumes appropriate related additional duties to further the mission of the unit.
Standing : Frequently
Walking : Frequently
Stairs : Occasionally
Sitting : Occasionally
Lifting/Carrying : Occasionally
Pushing/Pulling : Occasionally
Climbing : Rarely
Balancing : Rarely
Bending/Stooping : Occasionally
Kneeling : Occasionally
Squatting/Crouching : Occasionally
Reaching : Occasionally
Grip/Dexterity : Occasionally
Twisting : Occasionally
Talking : Frequently
Hearing : Frequently
Repetitive Motions : Frequently
Eye/Hand/Foot Coordination : Frequently
Visual Acuity : Frequently
Running/Jumping : Rarely
Physical Exertion : Rarely
Physical Restraining : Rarely
Work Outdoors : Occasionally
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) : Frequently
Eligibility for licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse with the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation, Division of Professional Regulation.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing or four-year degree
Nursing experience in an ambulatory care setting
This is a 100% full-time Civil Service 2740 - Staff Nurse I position, appointed on a 12-month basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after 10/23/2023. Salary is commensurate with experience.