Franciscan Health – Northern Indiana
Full Job Description
The Franciscan Nurse Internship program is a unique academic partnership between Franciscan Health and affiliated school partners to support the current demand on the nursing workforce. Employment at a Franciscan Health facility allows students to gain valuable clinical experience as they complete their nursing degree, easing the transition into nursing practice. Interns are paid to work 8-12 hours per month and receive tuition assistance for the last three semesters of their nursing program.
With more than a century-old tradition of health care, Franciscan Health has long been a place where nurses care for patients while continuing Christ's ministry in our Franciscan tradition. The internship offers participants an exceptional opportunity to learn new skills of the nursing profession in a safe and nurturing environment.
The internship will take place at the following Franciscan Health locations:
- Crown Point, IN
- Michigan City, IN
- Hammond / Dyer / Munster, IN
Under the supervision of a RN preceptor, the student will:
- Be involved in caring for patients holistically
- Become more confident in decision-making
- Learn time management
- Become an effective communicator
- Improve critical thinking skills
- Learn more about the everyday expectations of the professional nurse
The internship is designed to help the student to:
- Meet the clinical requirements for their nursing program
- Utilize the nursing process (Assessment, Planning, Intervention and Evaluation) for providing direct patient care in the acute care setting.
- Manage the care of patients experiencing acute and chronic conditions utilizing a holistic approach.
- Integrate knowledge and skills acquired throughout the program: critical thinking, care coordination, leadership, and collaboration and communication skills.
- Develop clinical reasoning and competent nursing practice and begin transition to professional practice.
All students accepted into the Franciscan Health Internship program are
- Complete clinicals at a Franciscan Health facility as deemed appropriate by the school of nursing
- Commit to working a minimum of 8-12 hours/month on their assigned unit with their assigned RN preceptor
- Commit to 3744 hours of service upon obtaining their RN credential
Applying students must:
- Have completed at least one semester of clinicals at an accredited ASN program and at least 2 semesters at a BSN program.
- Be currently enrolled in good standing.
- Be American Heart Association BLS certified.
- Submit 2 letters of recommendation (one from clinical instructor). ( attach in application)
- Provide a professional statement of interest.
- Submit a clearly readable unofficial transcript. ( attach in application)
- Attach your resume or CV
All applications are to be made online. In addition, all potential internship candidates will be asked to attend a panel interview.
- Ivy Tech Community College
- University of Saint Francis
For questions regarding the program and / or application, please contact:
Laura Dosen- Hammond/Dyer/Munster
Pamela Schoon-O'Leary - Crown Point
Michelle Schwenk - Michigan City