Employer: University of Illinois - Chicago
Hiring Department: TRIO
Job Title: Extra Help – Program Student Advisor
Additional Information: https://uic.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/6021?c=uic
Under direct supervision, the Extra Help Program/Student Advisor serves as part of a team of liaisons between the Upward Bound Program and target schools, facilitates career and college information workshops, obtains student progress information, and recruits new students. Regular travel off-campus to school sites and occasional evening, weekend or overnight hours are required. This is a full-time, temporary, 900-hour, Extra Help position.
Duties & Responsibilities
Collaborates on and monitors educational and cultural enrichment activities and workshops.
Obtains needed documentation from program participants and submits collected documentation and/or data to appropriate staff members.
Assists in developing and implementing services that prepare students to enter and graduate from college.
Applies an appropriate level of professional judgment and discretion to effectively deliver services to participants and their parents or guardians.
Collaborates with target schools to deliver pre-college services that meet critical academic needs of participants.
Maintains social media and submits information to Marketing.
Monitors UB TRIO email.
Liaison to Target Schools
Meets with high school counselors to support student needs.
Presents on the Upward Bound Program to eligible students.
Assists with student recruitment.
Monitors on and off-campus retention activities.
Collaborates on developing and chaperoning field trips/college tours.
Collaborates on cultural activities and workshops.
Communicates UB programming information to participants and school counselors.
Summer Enrichment Dormitory Staff Supervision
Train and monitor dormitory staff.
Supervises residential workshops and activities.
Monitors food service process.
Reports concerns and infractions to Assistant Director.
Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree*
- Additional education or other formal training in an area of specialization inherent to the position may be required.*
- Demonstrated work experience in the area of specialization inherent to the position may be required.*
*Bachelor degree, additional education, training and/or work experience in a distinct academic discipline or area of specialization may be designated by the Employer. Such designations must be directly linked to the specific position description and requirements.
- Experience with TRIO Programs preferred
- Experience with the Department of Education TRIO regulations and procedures preferred
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse or underrepresented student populations similar to TRIO preferred
- Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite and other computer software programs preferred.
- Customer and Personal Service — Knowledge of principles and processes for providing quality educational guidance. This includes student needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of student satisfaction.
- Administration and Management — Knowledge of business and management principles involved in the presentation and delivery of academic programs, strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership techniques, recruitment methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Knowledge of educational, evaluation, and measurement principles, practices, methods, and techniques, university policies and procedures.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking — Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking — Talking to others to convey information effectively; ability to develop a rapport with students.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with students, faculty, and staff.