Employer: UI Health
Job Title: Medical Assistant – Center for Women’s Health
Additional Information: https://uic.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/2/home/requisition/2962?c=uic
Hiring Department: Center for Women's Health
Hiring Unit: University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System (UI Health)
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Requisition ID: 1016389
Posting Close Date: 2/3/2023
Position Number: CE4349
Duties & Responsibilities:
- The Medical Assistant Credentialed Certified typically performs the following duties per healthcare facility protocols (federal, state and university) and specific duties assigned.
- Maintains medical records in Electronic Health Records (EHR) systems, reviews and prepares EHR to ensure completeness prior to patient exam, obtains missing documentation; documents medical visits, observations, and related activities Assists nursing/medical staff with tasks related to preliminary assessment, education, and documentation of patient condition and the presenting health complaint including: Obtaining vital signs and other pertinent health information, i.e. conducts patient screenings during intake process.
- Administration of basic tests as by healthcare provider such as EKG, spirometry, pulse oximetry, Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA), ETC. Informing the patient of test preparations and directions to diagnostic/treatment areas.
- Obtain specimens by noninvasive techniques and collect blood specimens via capillary and venipuncture technique Assists medical/nursing staff with tasks or diagnostic/therapeutic procedures appropriate to experience, training and skill level.
- Responds to patient inquires (both in person and by telephone) and relays information to the appropriate clinical staff based on the nature of the inquiry.
- Transports or accompanies patients as directed. Documents patient medications for medication reconciliation by history.
- Administers approved injections per appropriate protocol Under direct supervision of clinical staff and following MD orders, completes requisitions for diagnostic tests/procedures.
- Assists in collection and processing of patient specimens. Performs and documents point of care specimen testing. Performs necessary follow-up to obtain laboratory/test results and other pertinent medical record information, records lab data.
- Maintains patient care environment in compliance with safety and infection control requirements including but not limited to ordering, stocking, and monitoring usage of linen, forms and supplies; disposal of soiled and used patient care supplies; sterilization of equipment.
- Performs and documents quality control tests on equipment as appropriate.
- Cleans and sterilizes equipment and maintains appropriate cleaning logs per policy.
- Obtains pre-authorizations and referrals. Maintains patient files and medical records; extracts clinical/demographic information as required.
- Schedules patient appointments.
- Checks patients in and out, requisitions charts/studies, registers patients and activates accounts according to hospital procedures.
- Records lab data.
- Assists other staff with office reception and business support functions.
- Collects cash payments from patients and keeps accurate record of cash collections.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Participates or assists with initiatives to promote effective process design, development and implementation of EHR and other technologies; participates in improvement projects and on assigned committees
Minimum Qualifications Required:
- High school graduation or equivalent.
- Possession of a current/valid certification as a Certified Medical Assistant by an approved certifying board as defined by the employing institution. The approved certifying boards include; American Association of Medical Assistant (AAMA), American Medical Technologists (AMT), National Center for Competency Testing (NCCTI) and/or National HealthCareer Association (NHA).
- Possession of a current/valid American Heart Association (AHA) Basic Life Support CPR Certification.