Organization: University of Illinois Chicago
Hiring Department: Epidemiology and Biostatistics
Job Title: Grad Hourly – COVID-19 Contact Tracer
Application Close: August 26, 2022
Additional Information: https://uic.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/266?c=uic
About the University of Illinois at Chicago
UIC is among the nation’s preeminent urban public research universities, a Carnegie RU/VH research institution, and the largest university in Chicago. UIC serves over 34,000 students, comprising one of the most diverse student bodies in the nation and is designated as a Minority Serving Institution (MSI), an Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution (AANAPSI) and a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI). Through its 16 colleges, UIC produces nationally and internationally recognized multidisciplinary academic programs in concert with civic, corporate and community partners worldwide, including a full complement of health sciences colleges. By emphasizing cutting-edge and transformational research along with a commitment to the success of all students, UIC embodies the dynamic, vibrant and engaged urban university. Recent “Best Colleges” rankings published by U.S. News & World Report, found UIC climbed up in its rankings among top public schools in the nation and among all national universities. UIC has nearly 260,000 alumni, and is one of the largest employers in the city of Chicago.
The Campus COVID-19 contact tracer is responsible for interviewing campus persons (students, staff, faculty) with probable or confirmed COVID-19 infection to gather the necessary information for public health case investigation and contact tracing. These efforts are essential for ensuring a safe environment on UIC's campus through the isolation and quarantine of persons infected with, or exposed to, COVID-19. The contact tracer will maintain contact with students, staff, and faculty diagnosed with COVID-19 and will aid in determining exposure, monitor symptoms, refer individuals for testing and further medical care in accordance with established protocols, and provide public health guidance. The contact tracer will maintain ongoing communication with exposed individuals to assess symptoms, ensure compliance with post-exposure requirements, and address social support needs and/or compliance issues that arise.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Conduct telephone interviews with individuals diagnosed with COVID-19 infection to gather information about symptoms, exposures, and contacts (i.e., persons the case has been in contact with while potentially infectious).
- Provide individuals diagnosed with COVID-19 infection information about COVID-19 illness and methods of disease prevention and control.
- Assess the capability of individuals diagnosed with COVID-19 infection to comply with isolation protocols and identify and connect them with the types of support and services they may need during their period of isolation.
- Identify individuals diagnosed with COVID-19 who meet high-risk criteria for severe outcomes and ensure proper follow up through health care providers or specialists either externally or internally to UIC.
- Identify and rapidly notify contacts of diagnosed patients through e-mail, phone calls, and other platforms when necessary.
- Assign risk categories depending on the contact’s underlying medical conditions, occupation, living situation and level of contact with case, and understand protocol for each risk category.
- Provide contacts with approved information on appropriate post-exposure procedures, including quarantine, symptom monitoring, and testing when necessary.
- Systematically collect and record detailed information in local databases, primarily in REDCap.
- Participate in continuing training as protocols are adapted to adhere to local, state, and federal public health guidance.
- Communicate with individuals in a professional and empathetic manner maintaining emotional and cultural awareness and ensuring confidentiality of individuals.
- Communicate with your team and supervisor when contact cannot be made with an individual and understand the best way to address the problem.
- Maintain continuity of care for rapport with assigned cases and contacts and facilitate timeliness of case investigations by communicating, completing scheduled calls, and promptly responding to emails with them even if outside of scheduled work time.
- Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned. These may include doing COVID-19 educational outreach to students on campus, promoting appropriate masking in campus buildings, promoting influenza vaccination, and assisting the COVID-19 testing program.
- Enrolled student at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC).
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, health sciences, or a related field.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, and attention to detail.
- Ability to interact appropriately and effectively with a wide range of individuals.
- Superior skill in multi-tasking, organization, and time management.
- Ability to adapt quickly to evolving public health guidance while maintaining excellent attention to detail.
- Computer skills are necessary and should include the ability to quickly learn how to navigate multiple databases and software programs following training.
- Equally comfortable working individually and within a team environment that emphasizes interdisciplinary collaboration in a dynamic health sciences college.