Employer: Swedish Hospital
Hiring Department: Tele/Oncology
Job Title: C.N.A ($5,000 Sign-on Bonus)
Additional Information: https://recruiting2.ultipro.com/SWE1003SCHMC/JobBoard/b3bbfb25-ba1f-43ae-a6cb-4f0e2cb70043/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=7b4e5518-04da-4583-a237-349d5bc18fb5
Provides care to patients on assigned nursing unit under the direction of a Registered Nurse.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the mission of Swedish Hospital and demonstrates a service orientation and adheres to all responsibilities and standards of the hospital and performs all of the following duties and responsibilities:
- Communicates effectively with patient, families, visitors, and members of the health care team in a respectful manner.
- Assists with patient hygiene based on the level assistance the patient requires.
- Assists with meeting the elimination needs of the patient.
- Assists in providing for nutritional needs of the patient by helping them eat, if needed.
- Assists with ambulating and range of motion for the patient.
- Follows policies and procedures related to patient and staff safety.
- Follows safe patient handling guidelines and demonstrates proper use of lifting and other patient safety equipment.
- Accurately documents vital sign monitoring (temperature, heart rate, respiratory rate, and blood pressure) as well the results of point of care blood glucose monitor (Accu-Check) in the patient’s electronic medical record (EMR).
- Properly cleans all multi-use equipment between care of patients.
- Uses standard fall and high risk precautions on all patients based on need and direction by the RN.
- Performs rounding and repositioning with assigned patients every two hours.
- Regularly communicates with the RN regarding any changes in the patient’s vital signs or any observations of the patient/family and any tasks assigned.
- Maintains clinical competency which is tested each year by Nursing Education
- Performs 12-lead ECG on patients as directed by the RN
- Proactively organizes, and stocks nursing unit with patient care supplies.
- Maintains patient privacy and confidentiality
- Empty, measure and record output in all Foley bags/colostomy bags as directed by the RN and at the end of the assigned shift.
- Gather all required linen before beginning the bathing or cleaning of patient.
- Perform Accu-Check quality controls daily at Midnight
- In along with housekeeping, empty trash from patient rooms, nursing station, hallway, medication room and store room at the end of the shift.
- Assists nurses in admitting patient, which includes setting up the room, transferring patient to bed.
- If no CNA scheduled for the next shift check vital signs on all patients at the end of shift (0700 or 1900).
- Give hand-off report to oncoming CNA before leaving at the end of shift.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
PATIENT CARE/AGE SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
CNA working in specialty areas possess knowledge of procedures specific to that patient population including age specific needs Each specialty unit is responsible for providing specific credentialing for the unit.
QUALIFICATION/BASIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Must satisfactorily complete a planned orientation program at Swedish Hospital
- One year Nursing Assistant or comparable experience preferred, Certification as a nurse’s aide required
- Ability to interact effectively with others
- Ability to effectively manage stress
- Ability to uphold confidentiality standards appropriately
- Must communicate effectively (both written and verbally), be organized and self directed
- Certified as a Nursing Assistant through the State of Illinois
- Current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification from the American Heart Association is required
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL CONTACTS
- First contact with visitors, medical staff
- Daily contact with patients, Nursing Staff and other department personnel
- Telephone contact for all inquiries on the Unit
- Patient care related equipment
ACCESS TO PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION
Computer system access for the Nursing Division is assigned based on criteria as specified in Policy # 08-113-0, and on the minimum necessary as described in this job description. Approval for level of access is given by the system administrator (for Nursing Division this is Nursing Informatics) or the department that has ownership of system/module. See computer system Access Control policy. The Nursing Assistant has Access Level F, which includes Name, Demographic & Service Specific Clinical (i.e. clinical information specific to the unit). Meditech access for this job description is NUR.NA &/or NUR.US. See Policy 08-113-0, Attachment A.
- May be in an upright position and moving about most of the working time
- Must be able to lift objects up to 20 pounds
- Use of computer
- Potential for exposure to chemicals, airborne diseases, blood and bodily fluids
- Risk of injury by violent patient
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to the classification. They are not intended to be as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.