Employer: University of Illinois – Chicago
Hiring Department: Medicine/Positive Health Solutions
Job Title: Peer Support Specialist (Location: Peoria)
Additional Information: https://uic.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/7427?c=uic
Under general supervision of the Medical Social Services Assistant Supervisor, this position offers a broad range of peer support activities related to the chronic health management of HIV/AIDS. The position requires knowledge of the HIV/AIDS life/treatment as well as initiative, good judgement and a thorough knowledge off complex social services available.
Duties & Responsibilities
Assists in preparation of program marketing materials and social service resource program information. Assists with PHS, IDPH, DRS and other required surveys. Participates in the planning, establishment, and coordination of events.
Keeps accurate consumer records according to funding source guidelines through progress logs, treatment plans, assessment of customer driven needs.
Maintains and continues to develop awareness of, and relationships with, support services available to individuals served by PHS as well as collaborates with Part B, C, D programs and others identified in the provision of services for targeted areas.
Uses personal experience to promote self-advocacy and identifies a safe space for peers to have the ability to support one another. Provides encouragement and personal coaching to assist client in meeting goals and objectives. Maintains contact with the client to provide support and engagement. Introduces peer support program information to the community and other programs through networking and relationship development.
Attends and contributes to, department meetings, program meetings, and interagency meetings as requested.
Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned. Performs duties of the lower level.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- One (1) year (12 months) of “lived” (or extensive "lived") experienceii in sustained recovery and reentry in the area(s) of specialization inherent to the position or of work experienceii:
- Chronic health management (diabetes, hypertension, cancer, etc.)
- Mental/behavioral health management
- Substance abuse (illicit drug or alcohol dependency)
- Eighteen months (18 months) of work experience comparable to the Peer Support Assistant of this series.iii
- Based on position and institutional requirements, possession of a valid and current certification in the areas of specialization inherent to the position from an accredited agency/organization.
- Based on position and institutional requirements, possession of a valid and current (appropriate) State of Illinois driver’s license, and proof of insurance at the time of appointment.