Employer: University of Illinois – Urbana
Hiring Department: Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
Job Title: Laboratory Manager
Additional Information: https://illinois.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/7796?c=illinois
Under administrative supervision, manage the day-to-day operation of the histology laboratory and provide histology technologist expertise.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinate the Histology, CWD, TSE, and Research IHC laboratory’s caseload and work assignments to ensure efficient and accurate completion. Organize workflow of staff, interns, and students working in the Histology laboratories within the VDL, in the CWD, TSE, and Research IHC section.
- Supervise staff, students, and interns working in the section, addressing personnel issues according to university procedures and ensuring proper training.
- Trim, embed, section, and stain hard and soft tissues. Perform immunohistochemical stains and all special stains as needed. Microscopically, examine all special stains, IHC’s and random H and E slides for quality, as needed.
- Oversee the Histology Technologist Intern program and provide training and support to interns. Instruct on histology techniques and serve as a resource.
- Assist with coordinating and negotiating research contract for section. Provide estimates on research cases and calculate final charges, working with the business office on billing inquiries
- Determine and maintain supply stock levels and order as needed. Research equipment specifications and costs and recommend purchases based on technical expertise.
- Oversee maintenance contracts with vendors and schedule PM visits and repairs as needed.
- Recommend and implement standard operating procedures (SOP’s) and protocols. Ensure compliance. Coordinate documentation for testing SOP’s.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional Physical Demands
The handling of any biological materials may present some risk of exposure to hazardous material s. Proper safety protocols must be maintained when handling and disposing of all materials. Allergies to hay, straw and pet dander may cause discomfort due to the location of the position in Vet Med.
Bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline closely related to the position
two (2) years (24 months) of work experience in a laboratory or similar setting closely related to the position
Total of five (5) years (60 months) of any combination of education in a scientific discipline and/or work experience in a laboratory or similar setting related to the position.
One (1) year (12 months) of supervisory and/or administrative experience.
NOTE: A Master’s Degree in an area consistent with the duties of the position may be substituted for one (1) year (12 months) of work experience.
American Society of Clinical Pathologists registered histologic technician (HT) or
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must have expert knowledge of histology technologies, techniques and procedures and be a certified histology technologist.
- Must possess excellent Independent judgment and supervisory and financial management skills.
- High personal standards regarding quality of work are vital.
- Ability to recognize exceptions and take necessary action if necessary.
This is a 100% full-time Civil Service 2408 - Laboratory Manager position, appointed on a 12-month basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after 10/16/2023. Salary is commensurate with experience.
For more information on Civil Service classifications, please visit the SUCSS web site at https://www.sucss.illinois.gov/pages/classspec/default.aspx.