Employer: University of Illinois – Chicago
Hiring Department: College of Nursing
Job Title: Compliance and Contracts Specialist
Additional Information: https://uic.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/8232?c=uic
This position manages the entire compliance process for all faculty, staff, and students associated with UIC Nursing. The Compliance Specialist organizes the compliance operations and logistics essential to the College of Nursing adhering to relevant federal and state laws, regulations, and policies. Serves as the UIC Nursing Compliance Officer. Responsible for tracking and maintaining student and faculty compliance with all clinical affiliates. They are also responsible for monitoring and documenting compliance activities, advising leadership and management on compliance matters, reporting faculty compliance issues to the Executive Associate Dean, and liaising with university internal and external departments.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Student and Faculty Compliance:
- Creates and implements the compliance process for all students, all teaching / research / clinical faculty, practicing clinicians, and staff employees associated with the College of Nursing.
- Serves as the UIC Nursing Compliance Officer, an official role at the university level with responsibility for following up on any HIPAA security breaches and providing faculty and staff with HIPAA compliance training.
- Manages Castle Branch and other university systems (Immuware) to ensure compliance with both the College of Nursing criteria and hospital affiliates for students, faculty, and staff.
- Creates and maintains a workflow system for communication and compliance tracking.
- Develops strategies and materials to assist students, staff, and faculty in the College compliance process.
- Creates and manages educational materials (including Blackboard site, student and faculty handbooks, and printed materials) for UIC Nursing compliance.
- Informs clinical placement coordinator and other key stakeholders when students and faculty are not compliant; works closely with Nursing Human Resources for staff compliance.
- Develops and monitors statistical reports for compliance strategies and outcomes.
- Collaborates with internal and external departments across campus to ensure compliance with all applicable regulatory standards.
- Facilitates action plan follow-through of compliance initiatives and projects.
- Assumes responsibility for ad hoc reporting for College of Nursing departments.
- Evaluates current practices to ensure College requirements are consistent with industry and CDC standards.
- Investigates, documents, and reports compliance and risk management issues and inquiries.
- Maintains documentation of compliance activities, audit logs, and incident reports.
- Prepares reports that include conclusions, necessary corrective actions, and recommends strategies to mitigate future risks.
- Assists University Legal Counsel with compliance-related investigations involving UIC Nursing.
- Provides information for, and works with, third party compliance auditors.
- Remains up to date on healthcare compliance laws, regulations, and requirements.
- Monitors State of Illinois RN/APRN licensure for College of Nursing faculty through NURSYS or other database to monitor IDFPR license compliance and status.
Clinical Affiliation Contracts:
- Works with the University Contracts Office as a liaison to execute and/or re-execute Clinical Affiliation Agreements.
- Prepares reports regarding the status of contracts to the DCOO to ensure contracts are executed prior to faculty and student clinical onboarding.
- Communicates with program directors, clinical placement coordinator, and other key stakeholders in identifying new clinical sites and provide contract status updates.
- Proactively ensures all clinical affiliation contracts currently in use remain active.
- Assumes responsibility for cultivating new partnerships with clinical agencies and continuing to foster positive relationships with current partnerships.
- Participates in all work projects and committees applicable to Compliance, Risk Management, Privacy, Security, and other groups on an ad hoc basis.
- Serves as resource to academic advisors relative to compliance issues.
- Assists with UIC Nursing events, as needed (ex. commencement, orientation, career fair, white coat ceremony, etc.).
- Performs other duties/projects as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications Required:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- A total of one (1) year (12 months) in education, training and/or work experience in the area of specialization inherent to the position. (Note: Master’s Degree in an area consistent with the duties of the position may be substituted for one (1) year of work experience.)
- One year of project management experience.