Employer: John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County
Job Title: Student Nurse Extern
Additional Information: https://cookcountyil.taleo.net/careersection/200/jobdetail.ftl
SHIFT: 11:00 PM-7:30 AM
LOCATION: SYSTEM FLOAT POOL
This position is exempt from Career Service under the CCH Personnel Rules.
The Student Nurse Extern is a nursing student that will provide patient care and support, under the direct supervision of a licensed registered professional nurse. The Student Nurse Extern participants in quality and performance improvement activities as assigned and as appropriate. The Student Nurse Extern must commit to no more than 18 hours per week over a period of 16-weeks equivalent to a school semester.
- Duties are performed under the direct supervision of a licensed Registered Nurse and may include, but are not limited:
- Assists with bathing
- Changes bed linens
- Takes vital signs
- Participates in patient admission, discharge, and transfer processes
- Assists with patient positioning or repositioning
- Assists with patient feeding
- Performs specimen collection
- Answers and responds to call lights
- Assists with direct visualization or 1:1 patient observation
- Assists with patient transport
- Patient rounding
- Audits and catalogs patient belongings. Appropriately labels belongings according to policy.
- Meets patient needs and/or communicates needs to the care team.
- Allows safety policies to ensure patient, public, co-workers, and self-well-being.
- Assists with patient mobility, i.e., bed to chair.
- Maintains an orderly work environment by straightening patient rooms and disposes of body fluids according to infection control policies.
- Prepares patient rooms for receiving admissions, surgical patients, transfers, and emergencies, i.e., room preparation.
- Collects performance improvement data. Participates in Quality and research activities as directed. Implements improvements after discussion with the supervisor.
- Maintains strict confidentiality. Treats patients, visitors, and staff with courtesy and care.
- Responds quickly to requests for assistance.
- Keeps appropriate staff informed about problems or concerns including patient’s condition.
- Relays accurate messages within a reasonable period.
- Attends and participates in meetings and mandatory in-services.
- Documents patient care and observations in the electronic medical record.
- Must be able to commit to no more than 18-hours per week over a period of 16-weeks equivalent to a school semester.
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs. and stand for long periods.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Currently enrolled in a professional nursing program meeting one (1) of the following:
- Completion of one year towards earning an Associate Degree
- Completion of three years towards earning a Bachelor’s Degree with a semester of clinical coursework
- Must provide record of coursework completion at time of interview (Must provide proof at time of interview)
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification within two weeks of start date (Must provide proof at time of interview)
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) Licensure in the State of Illinois
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Knowledge and basic computer skills in to use of electronic health records (EHR)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are necessary to communicate with all levels of staff and a patient population composed of diverse cultures and age groups.
- Flexibility and adaptability to meet Patient, Family, and Customer Needs
- Respecting one another
- Maintaining an appropriate environment
- Adheres to infection control standards
- Ability to follow CCH policies, procedures, and personnel rules
- Demonstrates the hospital's quality philosophy by fulfilling all commitments accurately the first time.
- Must be able to lift to 30 lbs. and stand for long periods.
When applying for employment with the Cook County Health & Hospitals System, preference is given to honorably discharged Veterans who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States for not less than 6 months of continuous service.
To take advantage of this preference a Veteran must:
- Meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
- Identify self as a Veteran on the employment application by answering yes to the question by answering yes to the question, “Are you a Military Veteran?”
- Attach a copy of their DD 214, DD 215 or NGB 22(Notice of Separation at time of application filing). Please note: If you have multiple DD214s, 215s, or NGB 22S, Please submit the one with the latest date. Coast Guard must submit a certified copy of the military separation from either the Department of Transportation (Before 9/11) or the Department of Homeland Security (After 9/11). Discharge papers must list and Honorable Discharge Status. Discharge papers not listing an Honorable Discharge Status are not acceptable
A copy of a valid State ID Card or Driver’s License which identifies the holder of the ID as a Veteran, may also be attached to the application at time of filing.
If items are not attached, you will not be eligible for Veteran Preference
VETERANS MUST PROVIDE ORIGINAL APPLICABLE DISCHARGE PAPERS OR APPLICABLE STATE ID CARD OR DRIVER’S LICENSE AT TIME OF INTERVIEW.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Coverage
- Basic Term Life Insurance
- Pension Plan and Deferred Compensation Program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Holidays, Vacation, and Sick Time
- You may also qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF)
For further information on our excellent benefits package, please click on the following link: http://www.cookcountyrisk.com/
MUST MEET REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AT TIME OF APPLICATION
*Degrees awarded outside the United States with the exception of those awarded in one of the United States' territories and Canada must be credentialed by an approved U.S. credential evaluation service belonging to the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or the Association of International Credential Evaluators (AICE). Original credentialing documents must be presented at time of interview.
*Please note all offers of Employment are contingent upon the following conditions: satisfactory professional & employment references, healthcare and criminal background checks, appropriate licensure/certifications and the successful completion of a physical and pre-employment drug screen.
*CCHHS is strictly prohibited from conditioning, basing or knowingly prejudicing or affecting any term or aspect of County employment or hiring upon or because of any political reason or factor.