Employer: University of Illinois – Chicago
Department: College of Medicine
Position Title: Research Internship
Additional Information: https://uic.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3xwmqCQNF74jgLc
Research Internship – Empath Lab, UIC College of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics
The Empath Lab, housed within the Department of Pediatrics, is seeking part-time research interns to support various research projects in the Department of Pediatrics focusing adolescent mental health. The intern would support with a range of study activities including, but not limited to: recruitment, consenting, data input, and community engagement. Interns must be able to commit to at least 8 hours of work per week and be able to be on-site at our 840 S. Wood office. This position would provide a wide array of academic and professional development opportunities, including experience in clinical mental health research, support with academic projects, and multi-disciplinary mentorship.
The research internship duties include:
- Recruitment of adolescent patients ages 13-19 via phone and in various clinics including UIC pediatric and adolescent medicine clinics, Maxwell Family Clinics, and Mile Square Health Centers.
- Enrollment of participants according to established research protocols.
- Maintaining detailed records of communication with research participants in our data management system.
- Maintaining and processing required paperwork.
- Conducting literature searches.
- Participating in meetings and workgroups related to the project.
- Participating in IRB human subjects training (CITI Training) and maintaining appropriate professional competencies and compliance with human subjects training requirements
- Training volunteers in recruitment practices and other related study protocols
- Conducting research study activities and tasks as needed
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
- Commitment to 8 hours per week of recorded work, minimum to working on the study.
- Conducting clinic or calling recruitment for at least one, 4-hour shift per week.
- Attendance at weekly meetings.
- Participation in research meetings.
- Regular communication with study staff.
- Research methods, recruitment, and implementation
- Social media
- Community engagement
- Other topics are available on a case-by-case basis with faculty approval
- Gain experience about clinical mental health research with an emphasis on recruitment.
- Multi-disciplinary mentorship from university faculty and staff
- Opportunities to prepare and present posters at both UIC College of Medicine research forums and conferences
- Pre-medicine/pre-health: MCAT preparation, primary and secondary applications
- Public health: Capstone projects
- Honors college: Capstone projects
- Career planning guidance and mentoring
- Participation in the Department of Pediatrics Summer Scholars Program
- Participation in Lunch and Learn presentations
Interested applicants can submit a resume and cover letter to Matthew Lowther, email@example.com