The Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship program was established in 1985 at UIC to recognize underrepresented students who have demonstrated high academic achievement and have shown a commitment to civil rights and social justice through community service. In an effort to keep Dr. Martin L. King, Jr.‘s dream alive, these meritorious and/or monetary awards are given to undergraduates, graduates and professional students. The general application must be completed to be considered for this opportunity. Two recommendations are required, one recommendation must be from a UIC faculty member who has taught the student in the classroom and/or laboratory setting, and can assess the student’s potential for graduate study.
Seven $2,000 undergraduate scholarships will be awarded for the 2019-2020 academic year. Undergraduate recipients of the award during the 2018-2019 academic year may reapply. Undergraduate students who are already receiving the scholarship for the 2019-2020 academic year should not reapply.
- Be currently enrolled at UIC; and
- Have completed at least one semester at UIC; and
- Be considered an underrepresented citizen or resident alien as defined by the Illinois Board of Higher Education (African American, Hispanic, Asian American, American Indian or Alaskan Native, women and persons with disabilities). For more information, visit: IBHE and
- Have a current cumulative UIC GPA of at least a 3.0 (4.0 scale); and
- Be at the junior or senior student level by the start of the Fall 2019; and
- Maintain full-time enrollment for the 2019-2020 academic year (both fall 2019 and spring 2020); and
- Be a citizen or resident alien as defined by the federal government; and
- Have no disciplinary record in the Office of the Dean of Students; and
- Not be a UIC employee (student workers are eligible)
The Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship selection committee will review applications for the above noted criteria.
The application includes two personal statements and two letters of recommendation (at least one of which must be from a UIC faculty member).
In the spirit of supporting scholarship opportunities for future UIC students, recipients of this scholarship may be asked to engage in stewardship including, but not limited to sharing information from this application with the UIC Office of Advancement and/or donor.
Sunday, September 22, 2019
Apply in SnAP: https://uic.academicworks.com/opportunities/7419