Housed under the Academic Services Unit for UIC Athletics, the primary goal of the Port Academic Center Tutoring Program is to provide student-athletes with academic assistance beyond that which they receive in the classroom. UIC Port tutors promote academic success by assisting student-athletes who are experiencing academic difficulty or need additional support to develop academic skills and course-specific knowledge.
The role of the tutor is to answer questions, review/lecture on concepts, and to demonstrate how to use and find resources. Tutors direct sessions based on their assessment of a student’s needs and not just from student’s expectations of what should be covered. The role of the tutor is not to reteach a lecture or explain an instructor’s intent or meaning. Tutors will not give answers to assignments or write a student-athlete’s paper. They will not complete work for students, and they will not be responsible for knowing every detail for a specific course.
Training will be provided to tutors to effectively meet the academic needs of the student-athlete. Tutors are expected to be knowledgeable in chosen content areas and be capable of teaching study skills and learning strategies within that subject.
- Conduct weekly or bi-weekly sessions with student-athletes to promote independent learning.
- Complete the necessary tutor appointment report after each session.
- Identify and address study skill needs for students in the context of the tutorial session.
- Communicate effectively with students and staff.
- Attend and complete mandatory paid tutor training before the beginning of each semester.
- Maintain a high level of knowledge in academic areas selected to tutor.
- Understand and comply with the policies of the NCAA, the Horizon League, the University of Illinois at Chicago, and the UIC Port Academic Center that govern the tutoring of student-athletes.
- Comply with the University’s FERPA, Academic Misconduct Policy, and Title IX guidelines.
- Submit all paperwork in a timely fashion including: tutor reports, availability form, HR paperwork, and time reports.
Interested candidates please send your resume and unofficial transcript to the Port Academic Center Tutor Coordinator.