Call for Application
$300 Library Research Awards for Students
***Apply here from April 11-May 14, 2018.***
Are you currently working on a:
- Poster for the Research Forum or Engineering Expo?
- Research paper for your Capstone course?
- Presentation or performance drawing on resources you found in the UIC Library?
- Any other kind of research project?
Consider applying for one of these awards to recognize outstanding research completed using University Library resources:
- Special Collections & University Archives Student Research Award. This award recognizes students who incorporate original resources from Special Collections and University Archives
- Best Use of UIC Library Research Tools and Materials Award. This award recognizes students who use tools and materials from any area in the Library
Information about the Awards
The University Library Research Awards for Students began in 2017 to recognize students whose work takes advantage of the breadth and depth of the Library's collections and those who incorporate original resources from Special Collections & University Archives into their work.
Separate awards are awarded for:
- Best Use of UIC Library Research Tools and Materials
- Special Collections & University Archives Student Research
Awards are available for undergraduates and graduate students in each category.
Awards are conferred in the late spring of each year.
Tips from a Research Award Winner
- Do not be afraid to ask for help! Set up an appointment with a subject librarian if you are struggling to find resources for your paper.
- Check your citations! Use the Purdue OWL Citation Machine to ensure you are citing your resources within your paper properly.
- If you have book sources, do not read the entire book. Use the index at the back to locate pages and chapters that are related to your topic.
- Skim your sources for the information that pertains to your topic.
- Do not force yourself to write your paper all at once. Take breaks or write when you feel motivated.
- Definitely use quotes, but make sure to give credit to the author of said quote.
- Proofread your paper.
- Do not be afraid of others revising your paper -- it will help you become a better writer.