Extended Application Deadline: Midnight February 25, 2018
The Andrew W. Mellon Undergraduate Summer Academy and Curatorial Fellowship Program is an initiative that aims to make a critical impact on arts leadership across the nation. The Summer Academy is a one-week (June 17-24, 2018) intensive program exposing undergraduate students to museum professions through workshops, behind-the-scenes art museum tours, field trips and networking events with art collectors, curators and museum staff. After completing the Summer Academy, participants will submit supplemental materials to be considered for a fellowship.
The Curatorial Fellowship is for undergraduate students that can commit two-years in the program prior to graduating. Fellows gain hands-on experience working with curators and staff on exhibitions, collections, and programs. In addition, fellows are provided a stipend, assigned museum mentors during the their academic year and receive museum internships for two consecutive summers.
- Undergraduates currently enrolled at a university, college or community college
- Undergraduates who, if selected as a fellow, can commit to two years in the program with graduation planned for May 2020 or a later date (typically a current freshman or sophomore and/ or a nontraditional student with two years of undergraduate study remaining)
- Individuals from groups historically underrepresented in the curatorial field or those who support the goal of promoting inclusive, pluralistic museums. For more information please view the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation’s 2015 “Art Museum Staff Demographic Survey.”
- Individuals who are eligible to work in the United States
- Demonstrated interest in art, art history or the museum field
- Enrollment at a university, college or community college located near the Art Institute of Chicago
- Openness to the idea of pursuing a masters or doctorate degree in the arts or a museum field
Additional questions, please contact:
Academic Curator, Academic Engagement and Research
Art Institute of Chicago
111 S. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60603
For the application instructions, please see the resource below.