The College of Pharmacy at UIC invites undergraduate students to apply for the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) Program. The objective of this program is to introduce undergraduate students to biomedical research in order to heighten interest in science as a career and increase the number of young scientists entering the biomedical research disciplines.
The SURF program is located on UIC’s West Campus, in the center of the Illinois Medical District--one of the largest concentrations of advanced health care facilities in the nations-- and just minutes from downtown Chicago. Our location gives us convenient access to a diverse range of cutting-edge research, collaborators and patient populations.
The SURF Program is funded by an institutional award from the American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET).
The SURF program runs for 10 weeks, starting on Friday, June 1, 2018 and ending on Thursday, August 9, 2018.
SURF Program Description:
ASPET-sponsored SURF program is for undergraduate students interested in biomedical research. Students will work on independent research projects in the laboratories of their faculty mentors. Before beginning work, students will attend relevant laboratory safety training. In addition to individual mentoring, the program offers number of enrichment activities: research seminars, advanced research instrumentation workshops, career day at a local pharmaceutical company, instructions on how to prepare a scientific presentation, practice talks and a mini-symposium where all the participants present their research projects in front of the College audience. SURF participants will receive compensation of $3,000 for the 10 week period.
The 2018 Application Cycle is now open. Please read the application instructions carefully and apply by February 1, 2018.
- Sophomores or juniors majoring in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, or related field.
- GPA of 3.2 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Students should have a strong desire to pursue an advanced degree (PhD or PharmD/PhD) and must be available for the full 10 weeks of the program.
- The program is open to all US Citizens and Permanent Residents. Undergraduate students from groups underrepresented in health-related sciences, i.e. individuals from ethnic or racial groups (African American, Hispanic American, Native American, Alaskan and Hawaiian Natives); individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds, and individuals with physical or mental disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application Components and Process:
- Application form. Download the form and instructions.
- Personal statement
- Transcripts (unofficial are acceptable)
- 2 letters of recommendations
Submit completed application form, personal statement, and transcripts as a SINGLE PDF file by e-mail to email@example.com by February 1, 2018.
Request that your letters of references are e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 1, 2018.
All effort will be made to notify applicants no later than April 16, 2018 regarding their status. Applicants chosen to participate in the 2018 SURF program will be sent an offer letter via e-mail.
Please contact us by e-mail to email@example.com.