We are seeking enthusiastic, energetic, customer service driven, college students, majoring in Hospitality, Communications, or a Human Services related field to join the Cook County Sheriff’s Office, Department of Corrections for an exciting and educational Summer Internship! We will consider students who are currently pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree. A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 and previous customer service experience is preferred.
Is this a paid internship? Yes! In addition to gaining a valuable learning experience, undergraduate students will earn $13 per hour while graduate students will earn $15 per hour. Interns will be expected to work at least 10 - 20 hours a week. The ability to work a flexible schedule is required. Any school coursework is expected to be completed on your own time. Project areas will likely include, but not be limited to, providing customer service to the families of our incarcerated inmates within the correctional facilities, answering questions and identifying solutions for any problems that may arise, greeting visitors at each of the Division posts, and conducting surveys and audits to gage the visitor’s experience.
- Previous customer service experience
- Good communication skills. Ability to receive, understand and respond to routine inquiries and information
- Sound writing and research skills
- Able to perform various administrative or clerical functions and provide support for staff members
- Organizational skills
- Experience utilizing the Microsoft Word suite (Microsoft Word, Excel & PowerPoint)
- Interest in working in the public sector post-graduation
- Able to maintain a professional appearance and attitude at all times, in accordance with CCSO and departmental guidelines
The Cook County Sheriff’s Office prohibits all unlawful discrimination in its hiring and promotional process.
Please complete the application, scan and submit it to the CCSO Internship Program at CCSO.Internship@cookcountyil.gov, along with:
- A photocopy of your driver’s license/ID card
- A copy of your unofficial transcripts
- Current resume/Cover letter
If you are unable to send your documents by email, please mail them to Internship Coordinator, Bureau of Human Resources, Cook County Sheriff’s Office, 3026 S. California, Building 2, Room 104, Chicago, IL 60608. You may email any questions regarding submission of materials to above email address.
The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Cook County Sheriff’s Office prohibits all Unlawful Discrimination in all Employment Actions.