In collaboration with Productive Edge, a dynamic and innovative technology company, the University of Illinois at Chicago’s African American Academic Network and Institute for Entrepreneurial Studies have partnered to implement a program that will foster diversity in the technology space through coding opportunities.
During this year-long commitment, Black Tech Scholars will have the opportunity to acquire business acumen to start their own businesses and gain valuable hands-on experience building mobile-friendly websites.
In addition to practical training, Scholars selected for the program will engage in the following activities/opportunities:
- Obtain mentor ship from entrepreneurs and tech professionals
- Participate in job shadowing and networking activities
- Engage in real time projects on building web and mobile applications
- Connect directly with executive staff professionals to sustain paid internships
- Develop effective presentation skills
Scholars who are interested in the Black Tech Scholars Program should meet the following criteria:
- Be in good academic standing
- Have a minimum of 2.4 GPA
- Must have at least completed two concurrent semesters at UIC prior to the fall semester 2016
- Be able to make a year-long commitment to the program
- Recognition of participation/completion of programmatic activities will be listed on official transcript.
Applications should be submitted no later than Monday, July 11, 2016. Applicants will then be contacted to schedule an interview. Interviews will begin the week of July 18th. Applicants will be notified of a final decision in August. The program has a limited number of spaces available, so we encourage applicants to apply today.
View UIC Black Tech Scholars in action HERE!
Register for the UIC Black Tech Scholars Program at go.uic.edu/Black_Tech_Scholars
Contact Joseph Fields at email@example.com with questions.