The CCSLGBTQPA invites students and staff at ALL levels and areas of study to submit paper, poster, and presentation proposals for the Lavender Research Forum on Wednesday, April 13, 2016.
Proposals are welcome from UIC students, UIC staff, community members and from students at other institutions. We invite proposals that span the spectrum of queer thought and academic disciplines, including the creative, visual, and performing arts. Proposals can focus on academic inquiry, skills-development, and/or creative performance/expression. This forum is an opportunity to present work, create community, and facilitate collaboration across disciplines and institutions.
• The forum is a space to present papers and posters as well as artistic or creative contributions such as artwork, videos, and photo essays.
• Proposals should be no more than 300 words and list presenter(s) name(s), key words regarding theme, field of study, and institutional affiliation (if any).
• For creative pieces, proposals must also include description of A/V and/or other display needs as well as length of time and dimensions of space required to present the material.
• Possible focus areas can include (but are not limited to): intersectionality, trans* and transgender identities and experiences, queer voices of color, role of social justice and activism in society, connections between media representations and treatment of LGBTQ people, queer-narratives of resilience, healthcare advocacy and health disparities, queering of immigration reform, and safer and inclusive education practices.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS IS FRIDAY, MARCH 25 at 5PM.
Proposals should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Rules for the 2016 Competition:
1. Proposals may have more than one author or creator
2. Author(s) and/or creator(s) may only submit one proposal for consideration
3. Original research must have IRB approval
4. All author(s) and/or creator(s) must be available to present their work at the Forum
5. Paper submissions must follow these format and content guidelines:
a. 10 pages maximum single space including references and appendices
b. Cover page with affiliation, short biography, lay abstract
c. Narrative including introduction, literature review, design, findings, and significance
6. Creative pieces/contributions such as artwork, videos, and photo essays and posters must follow
these format and content guidelines:
a. Cover page, with affiliation, short biography, lay abstract
b. Narrative including introduction, design process, and significance
In addition to selection for presentation, a committee will rate presentations throughout the Forum. The two most highly rated UIC student presentations will be awarded monetary prizes at the end of the day. The 1st prize award is $500 and the 2nd Prize award is $300.
Send questions and submissions to email@example.com with subject line: Lavender Research Forum
Once notified of acceptance, all final work must be submitted by Wednesday, April 9, 2016.