The Communications Intern will gain experience in all areas of communications at Openlands including messaging, media relations, printed pieces, electronic communications, and web content. The intern will gain high-level resume- and portfolio-building experience at a leading Chicago non-profit and will have the opportunity to interact with Openlands’ senior leadership. This position reports to the Director of Communications; weekly commitment and beginning and ending dates are negotiable.
Founded in 1963, Openlands is one of the nation’s oldest and most successful metropolitan conservation organizations, having helped secure, protect, and provide public access to more than 55,000 acres of land for parks, forest preserves, wildlife refuges, land and water greenway corridors, and urban gardens. For more information, please visit www.openlands.org.
- Assist in drafting electronic communications, website content, and other messaging to support Openlands’ many programs, as well as the organization’s overall advancement
- Assist in creating and curating multimedia communications content including photos and videos
- Manage “5 Things To Do Outside This Weekend,” Openlands’ popular weekly event suggestions
- Assist in archiving material from Openlands’ history, including images, videos, and publications
- Data entry and other administrative duties as needed
- Other responsibilities as they develop, based on interest areas and organizational needs
- Excellent writing ability and visual literacy
- Strong organizational skills with a high level of attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with various web and social media platforms
- Commitment to conservation
- Flexible, easy-going personality and sense of humor, a plus
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
To apply please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample via email to Brandon Hayes, Director of Communications, email@example.com.
Position Commitment: Part time, up to 20 hours/week (flexible)
Start Date: September 14, 2015 (flexible)
End Date: December 18, 2015 (flexible)
Location: Openlands Offices at 25 E. Washington St., Chicago