Frederick Douglass Fellowship
Ready to change the world? Apply for the CIEE Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship, a fully-funded fellowship to study abroad with a cohort of student leaders from around the country.
- Be a current undergraduate freshman, sophomore or junior
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.00
- Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or permanent resident
- Identify as an ethnicity typically underrepresented on study abroad programs (e.g. American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino or Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander).
- Submit a complete application no later than February 14
The Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship was founded to empower students of color with a transformative experience abroad, much like Frederick Douglass was inspired by his travels. All program fees are covered, as well as airfare.
This year’s cohort is co-sponsored by the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs to commemorate the 175th anniversary of Douglass’s four-month journey around Ireland. You’ll be based in Dublin and visit other cities where Douglass campaigned, while meeting with government leaders and social justice activists.
This fellowship is offered by CIEE, a student exchange organization with whom we partner. As a next step, start your application at www.CIEE.ORG/FDGF. (If you enter your name and email, you’ll receive updates before the February 14 deadline.)
View Prevail Bonga's winning application video to get started!
Frederick Douglass Scholarship
All eligible students who submit an application for the Frederick Douglass Fellowship, will qualify for a $1,500 scholarship towards ANY CIEE summer program, regardless if you are selected for the fully-funded fellowship.
Hear perspectives from UIC Study Abroad Alumna, Kayla Minor, who received the Frederick Douglass Scholarship to study in Paris, France in Summer 2019. Watch Here!
Deadline to Apply: February 14th, 2022
Questions? Email FDGF@ciee.org